Adding On, An Update

Back on December 8th, I wrote the post Adding On. A lot of people have been asking for more photos and progress. I posted 55 photos on Facebook today. Here, I’m going to post one photo for each day that I took photos. I take photos every day work is done. However, because of the weather in December and January, work wasn’t done every day. For the record, our contractor is Stanley Nelson of Bay Area Baths. (And to show you how much I have adoption on the brain, I initially typed “Baby Area Baths”. *sigh*)

Once again, here’s what the area looked like before:

The back of our house

May 2010

First, Stanley had to take down the existing deck/balcony, which came off of the master bedroom.

The back of our house, sans deck

December 2, 2010

Consequently, we had French doors to nowhere:

Doors to nowhere

December 3, 2010

We had to dig up the cement patio:

Cement digging

December 4, 2010

Jack really enjoyed watching that. We had to take all of the glasses out of the cupboards, the vibrations were so large.

So, we were left with a big mud pit for several days:

Back of our house with mud pit and tarp

December 5, 2010

That tarp stayed on the back of the house for a month.  The foundation work started…

Foundation work

December 11, 2010

and because of the weather, it seemed to take forever.

More tarps on the back of the house

December 14, 2010

But, the inspector came and gave the OK to pour cement.

Laying the foundation

December 16, 2010

Here, you get a view of the entire backyard. To get to the backyard, we had to go through the garage.


December 21, 2010

Then, of course, the holidays intervened. Work started back up in January with the framing.

Framing begins

January 4, 2011

It only took them a few days.

Framing almost complete

January 6, 2011

At that point, we kind of had an inside and an outside.

From the inside looking out

January 7, 2011

And then we had walls:

From the outside looking in

January 9, 2011

Through it all, the inside of the house was a mess, as you can see through the slider. We also got windows at this point.

Sliding door

January 11, 2011

And the ceiling in the dining room was torn up for electrical work, which the cats found fascinating.

Firefly and the ceiling

January 11, 2011

The ceiling remained this way, and more holes were cut.

Dining room ceiling

January 13, 2011

For awhile, all the work that was done was electrical and HVAC, so there really wasn’t any progress to show.

Jack in the addition

January 22, 2011

Then, building picked up in earnest.

The addition looks like a room

January 25, 2011

Then the roof was put on. It’s going to be a deck/balcony again.

Back of the house

January 27, 2011

The lathing happened next:

Back of the house, lathed

February 1, 2011

Then came the insulation, and we got a door!


February 3, 2011

Once we got the outside door, they removed the slider.

Sliding door is gone

February 4, 2011

Then, the sheet rock came in. And now, the dining room is filled with dust.

Ceiling sheetrocked

February 8, 2011

That brings us to yesterday, when they painted over the seams in the sheetrock.

The addition looks like a room

February 9, 2011

And that brings us to today. Stanley started putting up the handrail for the deck/roof.

Back of the house

February 10, 2011

3 thoughts on “Adding On, An Update

  1. Pingback: The Office « The Chittister Family

  2. Pingback: Happy Holidays from the Chittister Family! « The Chittister Family

  3. Pingback: Why We Didn’t Sign with Nightlight Christian Adoptions | The Chittister Family

Tell me what you think

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s