This is what the back of our house looked like last month:
We’re adding a room to the back of our house. We have three bedrooms now. However, the third bedroom is my office, and Max’s office is in the dining room. So, to have a baby, we needed to add a room. It took us most of this year to figure out how were were going to do it. We finally decided to go out the back.
One of my dad’s neighbors (Stanley) is a contractor, and he’s the one in charge of this. So far, he’s taken out the balcony and deck, ripped the stucco off the back of the house, dug a foundation from the concrete (with another neighbor, whose name sounds like “Roo-ey”), and laid the basis of a new foundation. We now have a beautiful view of a blue tarp from our dining room.
The addition should be done in about 2-1/2 months, which includes time for the holidays. Of course, if we get really bad rain again… Stanley had to come over today just to secure the tarp and cover the foundation because of the rain.
Half of the dining room ceiling is coming out to do the electrical work. So we’re going to have pack everything up and play musical boxes.
- We need to move the CDs and DVDs into the living room.
- Before we can do that, we need to move the books and bookcases out of the living room.
- Before we can do that, we need to box up the books and put them and the bookcases into the garage.
- Before we can do that, we need to free up space in the garage.
- To free up space in the garage, we have to move all of the bins that belong in the baby’s room to the current office.
- Before we can do that, we need to pack up the office and move all of the stuff into our room.
- Back to the garage, we need to paint the baby’s furniture.
- To do that, we need to get rid of the medium-sized pile of stuff to give away.
- While all of this is going on, it is Christmas, so we need to pull out the Christmas decorations.
- And we haven’t even gotten to how we’re going to clean out the corner of the dining room, with all of the filing cabinets, armoire of office supplies, Max’s desks, and Jack’s craft items.
I’ve already packed up the office and put everything into our room. I’ve also moved all of the bins and stuff for the baby into the office. We have 4 bins and 4 bags of toys, plus some loose, larger items. We have 2 suitcases, 3 bins, and a closet full of clothes. Cr-razy! I had to leave a few things in the garage – the high chair, the insanely large Exersaucer, and a bin of books that’s too heavy for a real person to carry.
We’re going to be very busy this holiday season!