Finally Final

I’m starting in the middle so people who just want to know about Jack’s adoption finalization don’t have to read through my verbosity. I’ll post the beginning and the end later this weekend.
Jack’s adoption is final!
We arrived at the Kansas City courthouse at 9am. There were a couple of cases before ours. Our lawyer, Mike, and Jack’s guardian ad litem, Kellie, were there and were incredibly impressed by Jack. I’m not sure Kellie had actually seen him, and of course Mike only saw him when he was 3 days old. Jack was entertaining, but then decided he needed to eat. So Max and I sat down and Max started to feed him, which of course is when we were called in.
So, Max took Jack sucking bottle and I took the bags of stuff that seem to accompany us all the time. The first thing we had to do, after sitting down, was to stand up and raise our right hands. Max was using his left hand to hold Jack and the right one to feed him, so I just reached over with my left hand and held the bottle, then Max and I raised our right hands. The courtroom thought this was incredibly amusing. The judge, whom I remembered from last time as being kind of stalwart, almost acted like a beaming grandfather. Whether because Max was feeding Jack, or because Max was the one who answered all the questions last time, Mike asked me all the questions.
Overall, they were yes or no, usually ending in “Is that correct?” One was “Does the baby have any health problems?” So I answered, “He has acid reflux.”
Max thinks that Mike looked annoyed by this, while I thought he looked like the whole time he was asking me questions. Anyway, Mike asked, “Is this something that the pediatrician thinks will resolve itself?” and I answered, “Yes.”
The other questions that I enjoyed were, apprximately: “You realize that Jackson will have all the rights and privileges of a biological child?” (which I had heard on Adoption Stories and it always made me smile) and then “You realize that you will have all of the responsibilities towards Jackson as of a biological child?” I wish I remembered the wording, because I immediately thought of Jack not sleeping, then of Jack in high school getting into a fender bender and trying to explain it. Swear to God, that’s what I thought. And I tried very hard not to smile and laugh for these questions, because I’m pretty sure they would have frowned on that.
After the questions, they asked Max whether or not he had heard me and if he would answer in substantially the same way. He said “Yes” and the judge legally and officially changed Jack’s name to Jackson Louis Chittister and congratulated us on our son!
Then Mike said that it would take 5 – 10 months to get Jack’s birth certificate because the records department is so backed up. For tax purposes, Jack has to have a SS# so we need to get his original birth certificate and the adoption decree and probably chant incantations to some voice mail maze and then drive to the wrong office twice to finally get the number.
But I digress.
The baliff took pictures of all of us together under the state seal. That was cool. Max still has them on his computer, but I can’t show you.
Interesting Note: One of the couples that was profiled in the NY Times article is friends with Mike. Small world!


  • adoption




Sep. 2nd, 2006 06:24 am (UTC)
Congratulations!!! 🙂


Sep. 2nd, 2006 12:35 pm (UTC)
Congratulations! That’s great news!

Tell me what you think

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s